Pimmon is Paul Gough. He's been a huge supporter of Home Normal since our inception, and both Ben and Ian have long been huge fans of his output ('Curse You, Evil Clown' was one of a handful of albums we always listen to whilst driving, for example). Early in 2013, Paul finally completed his aptly titled collaboration with Fabio Orsi, 'Procrastination', on Home Normal.
Here's a little more about Pimmon:
Pimmon is the recording name of Australian musician Paul Gough. He has released records on labels such as Fat Cat Records, Fällt, Tigerbeat6, Staalplaat and Staubgold, and collaborated with Keith Rowe and Oren Ambarchi, among others.
Gough started making music in the early 80s, inspired by Severed Heads, but never released any of it commercially. That changed when he sent a CD-R to the Japanese label Meme, who released it in 1999. Since then, Gough has been perfecting his unique mixture of drone- and glitch-based abstract digital soundscapes, which he creates using a variety of sound sources that he manipulates on his computer. Gough's first documented output arrived in the very early stages of laptop Electroacoustic improvisation and he has thus been credited as "second only to Fennesz as a laptop artist." He has played live at various festivals around the world, and has toured several countries.
Gough lives in Sydney, where he works as an audio engineer at ABC Radio National. He is also the host of a radio show on ABC Radio National called Quiet Space and another program on FBi 94.5 called Paul's Play-Lunch. Gough also performs with guitarist Jeff Burch under the name Mandala Trap.
This is a video of Pimmon at Fitz Fest at the Old Fitzroy Hotel in Woolloomooloo on Sunday January 27, 2013:
- (1999) Pola-Pola (self-released)
- (1999) Waves and Particles (Meme)
- (1999) Copper Hats (Freedom From)
- (2000) Kinetica ((K-RAA-K)³)
- (2000) Assembler (Fällt)
- (2000) Afternoon Tea with Oren Ambarchi, Fennesz, Peter Rehberg, Keith Rowe (Ritornell)
- (2001) Electronic Tax Return (Tigerbeat6)
- (2001) Orquesta Del Arrurruz (Staalplaat)
- (2001) Secret Sleeping Birds (Sirr Records)
- (2003) Mort Aux Vaches (Staalplaat)
- (2003) Snaps * Crackles * Pops (Tigerbeat6)
- (2008) Curse You, Evil Clown (Meupe)
- (2009) Smudge Another Yesterday (Preservation)
- (2009) Sounds of Perth (Cromim)
- (2009) Steered In Smash Ascent (Stunned Records)
- (2011) Lay Down Real Slow (Stunned Records)
- (2011) The Oansome Orbit (Room40)